Mom said it wasn’t becoming. Karma will get you in the end.
It’s ok to celebrate a success but don’t get braggy about it. I found that out the hard way.
If you read about the success of my first summer project you know that I was just a tad over the top. Only two trips to Home Depot. A few minor redo’s but nothing major. (Insert Snoopy dance here)
It took twice as long as I expected but I considered that good. I always underestimate time.
I can visualize the steps in my head. What I can’t visualize is the number of times I need to go to the basement to get a tool I forgot to bring out. Or finding that damn screwdriver that keeps walking off. (It’s so hard to get tools that are truly dedicated to getting the job done!)
Project two started out with a positive note. In our tailgate meeting, the beloved husband and I knew what we (that really means I) needed to do. At least sort of. There is always the unexpected.
I was moving the waterfall and putting in a spillway instead of squashing a hose between two ginormous stones for a waterfall.
Really bad idea.
Spillovers are wonderful to look at. It looks like a sheet of water softly flowing into the pond. More quiet and less splashy. Peaceful. The water lilies would be ecstatic (they don’t like water agitation).
The concept includes a basin of water at the head of the waterfall that is fed by the pump. As the basin fills to the top the water “spills over” softly. It’s Zen like. (That should have been my first signal. There is little about my Type A personality that is Zen like.)
Our pond is rustic, made out of natural stones. They are not uniform in size or flat so our walls are fitted casually without too many wobbles. It’s not like pavers or bricks which are flat and the same perfect size.
I couldn’t level out the damn basin. One stone was lumpy one way and the next one was too fat.
In retrospect, the spillway should have been constructed of pavers with natural stones placed to hide the construction. However, I did not have pavers and did not want to buy a pallet for such a small job.
Then the water ran in back of the pond and out to the grass. Not good.
Then it wasn’t level side to side which made the curtain of water look like a bulky side drape.
Patience isn’t my strong suit. (Technically I don’t have a patience suit at all! I left it at the cleaners at birth.) As the day wore on with repeated do-overs (and frequent repositioning of heavy stones), the concept of a peaceful waterfall became less achievable and less important.
In the end, the waterfall was moved but reinstalled as it was without a spillway.
The irony is that I did a project that should have cost nothing but I purchased a spillway and assorted stuff which went unused but is unreturnable.
If you average project number one which was almost free (under $5) and project number two in which I wasted $50, the project cost was $25 plus change each.
In my terms that is a week’s worth of Starbucks. (We all have our own ways of putting a value on money. Some people use a gold standard, some use diamonds, I use coffee!)
It could have been worse. Some projects end in divorce. This one ended in renewed awe for the beloved husband who has a closet full of patience (most of it is currently in the laundry as it took quite a bit of patience).
We are all happy here – fish, frogs, chipmunks and people. Not sure about the water lilies though.