Disclaimer: I really don’t watch much TV. I don’t do reality shows. I watch hospital and CSI/detective shows with a very occasional sitcom so there maybe some other programming that is more “normal” but I doubt it.
The season finales for TV series programs are done. Yay! I hate them. The writers throw everything in it but the kitchen sink while trying to create some cliffhangers that will conclude in the fall. Bleahhh! Did this start with the “Who Shot JR” episode that left the faithful viewers wondering all summer long?
As for story lines, I think there is a plot book that writers use. The screen writers pick one of the following:
- One of the main characters gets shot or dies or maybe not (is this about contracts?) — (Castle last year, Hawaii Five-0, CSI New York, Private Practice season 3, Grey’s Anatomy — many years)
- Psychological fallout from a shooting or near death experience. This is a two-fer. It gives writers a basis for the following year. (Castle last year, Private Practice – Violet after the baby was cut out)
- Something awful happens like a biological attack that will kill the entire city if not the world. Keep in mind that this is for an hour show (which is really closer to 40 minutes). (Body of Proof, Blue Bloods and I am sure NCIS-Los Angeles had some big disaster thing too)
- Or maybe a plane crash, another good way to kill off someone who is leaving the series (Grey’s Anatomy)
- Or a crazy person comes in and guns down some of the stars (Grey’s Anatomy – an earlier finale, ER many years ago)
- Or dire illness kills off a regular (Grey’s Anatomy again)
- The main characters get married (Private Practice 2011, Mike and Molly)
- Or they have a baby (Bones, Private Practice – wow did they throw in the drama! There wasn’t a dry eye in my house)
- One of the main characters kills someone (will they end up in jail????? Come back in September to find out!) (Mentalist last year, NCIS-Los Angeles this year)
- Something happens so the group of regulars changes (NCIS a few years back, Grey’s Anatomy, ER)
After they select the plot, they weave in all sorts of odd stuff to try to make it fit the cast. Sometimes it doesn’t even make sense – no worry, it’s a finale. There is so much hype surrounding the show it just doesn’t matter.
For the beloved husband (who is much older than me!) it reminds him of the cliffhangers that they used to have at the Saturday afternoon matinée. You may remember — with the young girl roped down to the railroad track when the train is coming. You have to come back the next Saturday to see if she was rescued.
What’s hanging now?
Castle – Becket resigned from her police job. The bad guys have put a hit out on her anyway. The only good news is that she and Castle finally had the steamy kiss. If you are a Castle watcher, you will remember that last season ended with Becket getting shot (see bullet one above). Then in September, there was a recovery with serious psychological problems (see bullet two above). Oh well, the steamy kiss was worth it!
Hawaii Five-O – It ended with Kono getting tossed in the ocean, all tied up. Now what? I guess we can assume that she will figure it out. After all, she is a top-notch surfer. Another loose end is Danny – will he fight the custody battle to be with his daughter and oh yes, we finally know that Shelburne is Steve McGarret’s Mom! What’s that all about? Tune in for the new season in September.
Body of Proof – A viral epidemic! With boss Kate almost dead (she recovered by the end of the show) and the Peter’s girlfriend dead, what’s next for Megan Hunt. Fortunately, the series was renewed.
Grey’s Anatomy – This series really outdoes most. Some of the docs are in a plane crash and that’s where it ends. Some regulars are leaving. Whaddup? Contract disputes? The beloved husband calls it a soap opera. He has a point. I can remember an unhappy customer coming in and killing off half the staff. Then there was the time when Meredith fell in the water and almost perished. Then again, there was Izzy, who had cancer and almost died. Then she recovered and left the show for movies. How can so many bad things happen to one hospital? You couldn’t pay me to go there.
Mentalist – Enough with Red John already! Too many years and too many tears! Last year it ended with Jane shooting someone he thought was Red John. Turns out he was wrong. Good thing he wasn’t convicted. That would have been a deal breaker for the series.
Private Practice – Aside from the brainless baby it ends with Pete in jail and Sam proposing to Addison while Jake is on his way over for a date. Who will she pick?
I am glad it’s all over. I really prefer a show that has an ending the same day. If there is any message at all here, it’s not to work in a hospital.
Clipart by primatebonz via Flickr
- ‘Grey’s Anatomy’: Please Stop Banking On Your Finales (hollywood.com)
- Grey’s Anatomy Creator Shonda Rhimes Weighs in On Season Finale (inquisitr.com)
- Who Died On The ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Season Finale? (huffingtonpost.com)